Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 13:38:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        terryl@CS.Stanford.EDU (Terry Lee)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Boot manager gone after Windows95

> P.S.  Does Windows95 have a new file system or did they just hack the old
> one?

Yes.

8-).

The VFAT as essentially the same layout, but has been hacked to support
long names and rewritten as necessary to enable caching (using the new
VCACHE.VXD).

The long name hack is a normal FAT entry followed by as many FAT entries
as necessary to represent the long name, using the same start cluster #
and having the system/hidden/volume_label attributes set on each entry.

The entries must be adjacent in the FAT, and are stored in 16 bit
characters (Unicode, or more properly, ISO 10646 page 0 -- 10646 is
normally encoded as 32 bits).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---