Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 17:40:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@altona.hamburg.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCVT problems

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> > With the problems I've had with the cons25 console driver, I decided to
> > give pcvt another shot. I've come across a few things(which I may have
> > mentioned before) that don't look quite right.
> > 1- What is supposed to be bold turns out blue.(bad mappings?)
> This is as it should be. It was done because of a shortcoming in the VGA
> architecture. The color assignments are changeable at compile time in
> pcvt_conf.h.

The only thing that I found changable in that file was the kernel bootup
colors. I've been playing with scon though and it's working somewhat.

> > 2- The output on the screen at boot is white on a red background(not a
> >    problem, just looks weird)
> This is as it should be. It was done because of personal prefenrence and
> is cahngeable at compile time in pcvt_conf.h.

Done. Thanks :)

> > 3- When using IRC, the screen "shakes" when a a new line of text goes
> >    through. It quite literally gives me a headache. (An incentive to stay
> >    off of IRC? :) )
> No idea, never used IRC.

My fault, I still had things set to cons25. Problem fixed :)

> > 4- The cursor seems to be lagged behind my typing.
> You seem to be as very fast typist then ! :-)

So I've been told :)

> The cursor update is done asynchronously in pcvt and its frequency is
> controlled by the compile time variable PCVT_UPDATEFAST which is again
> changable in pcvt_conf.h.

Hmm.. I knew there had to be an easy answer to all of this :)

> > 5- When using the up arrow key in tcsh to recall commands, it doesn't
> >    clear the current line, so things get jumbled up.
> No idea. I'm using bash for years now, and it works for me.

Again, I still had my TERM variable set to cons25. :/

> Anyway, i would also suggest to read the (not perfect) docs in the directory
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Doc !

Will do :) Thanks for all the help.

Later,
Dave

| David Anderson | Partek on IRC | partek@indecent.com | partek@youth.org  |
| "We do not have to resign our vision to what 'the world is really like'. |
| The roles of our past do not have to be the blueprint for our future. No |
| fear. No hate. No limits. Anything is possible." - Unknown               |