Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:24:42 +0100
From:      David.Kastrup@t-online.de (David Kastrup)
To:        yoichi@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: preview-latex-0.5.8.2

Hello,
I have just released preview-latex 0.6.1 on SourceForge, and I would
recommend that you use this version for your next port instead of
0.6, as 0.6 has problems with an incomplete "security" backport into
the newest versions of GNU GhostScript.  As compared to 0.5.8.2, your
current port, documentation has been widely extended and some
functionality added.  I append the release notes for 0.6.1.

You can get the newest source archive at
<URL:http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/preview-latex/preview-latex-0.6.1.tar.gz>;

Release notes for version 0.6.1 of the preview-latex package:

preview-latex is a system for displaying inline images of selected
parts of a file in Emacs source buffers.  It is released under the GNU
Public License (GPL).  At the current point of time, GNU Emacs-21.1,
AUC TeX, a working LaTeX installation and GhostScript are required.
XEmacs support is again being worked on.  If you are planning on
contributing, please contact the developers' list.  Due to missing
image support of Emacs-21.1 under Microsoft Windows, this platform is
not usable at the current point of time.

Release focus have been user interface improvements and documentation.
The TeXinfo documentation now also contains instructions for the used
LaTeX style, and users of Emacs' desktop package will have previews
survive into their next Emacs session.  The LaTeX style now has an
option for making TeX bounding boxes known to Dvips in case it gets
them wrong (frequent with packages like PStricks).  Due to a defective
backport of security handling, GNU GhostScript-6.53 failed to work
with version 0.6.  We now don't use the incomplete functionality.

User feedback about errors and suggested feature improvements is
welcome and heeded.  The home page is
<URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net>, the SourceForge project
page that among others offers anonymous CVS access is located at
<URL:http://sourceforge.net/projects/preview-latex>.

If you can spare the time, you can also comment on or rate this
project at <URL:http://freshmeat.net/projects/preview-latex>.

Additional files can be found at
<URL:http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/preview-latex>:

* If you don't have texinfo 4.0 or later installed, prebuilt
  documentation files can be found there.

* AUC TeX can be found at several places, but if you want the latest
  11.11 (alpha, but stable AFAIK) with no known issues concerning
  preview-latex, you can find it there as well.

* RPMs for preview-latex and AUC TeX are provided for users of RedHat
  Linux.

The RPMs require a few packages:

* GhostScript 6.51 is included in RH 7.2, but if you use an earlier
  release it can be downloaded from the RH7.2 updates,
  <URL:ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.2/en/os/i386/>;

* Finally, Emacs-21.1 can be downloaded from rawhide,
  <URL:ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/>.
  I installed this using 'rpm -i --nodeps --force', which worked for
  me, but since it does not follow the usual emacs + emacs-X11 +
  emacs-nox, YMMV.

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de