Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2001 22:24:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NASA's Operating System?

Giorgos Keramidas writes:
> From: David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
> >
> > In all fairness to NT the failure was in the Navy's software and not
> > Microsoft's. Then again some claim an advantage of Windows is the
> > ability to use personnel of lower skills. And some believe "garbage in,
> > garbage out."
>
> This is what I was looking for, yes.  I'll read the article again,
> because it left me with an impression that 'it was all NT's fault'.

Several of the reports erroniously tried to blame it all on NT. The
problem is higher up the chain of command. If software tries to divide
by zero and hasn't set error handlers to catch the situation beforehand
then it is correct for the OS to dump the process.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net