Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:38:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        ncolicc@ibm.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic on mounting OS/2 partition (was: "WARNING: / was not properly dismounted" message at reboot time.)

> > One of my options is to re-install FreeBSD,
>
> This is normally not an option.
>
> > however I don't think mounting an incompatible partition should have
> > gotten my into so much trouble.
>
> Indeed.  I'd be interested in finding out exactly what happened, but
> not at the expense of tearing your file systems apart.

	I'm willing to bet that Win95 corrupted it's slice, and screwed up
the entire FAT. Mounting the slice itself just quickened something that
was going to happen down the road. Try doing the good ol' fdisk /mbr with
a dos boot disk. After that you may want to boot off of FreeBSD boot
disk, resetup your slices. Then you'll probally have to nuke and reload
Win95 I bet, you maybe able to save it, but I bet that it'll happen again
within three months if you use Win95 fairly often.

					Rick

---- "Religion exists because man can't belive that he's nothing more
then a random accident."

 http://www.dsinw.com/~hamellr