Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:48:23 -0700
From:      Matt Lager <mlager@sdunix.com>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF state key linking mismatch in FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE

So it looks likeI can comment out this code in
/usr/src/sys/contrib/pf/net/pf.c:

                 /* mismatch. must not happen. */
                 printf("pf: state key linking mismatch! dir=%s, "
                     "if=%s, stored af=%u, a0: ",
                     dir == PF_OUT ? "OUT" : "IN", kif->pfik_name, a->af);

When this error occurs, I guess for valid reasons, does PF drop packets
or do something else with them, or is this purely an information  notice?

On 1/12/2012 3:37 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On 12. Jan 2012, at 22:26 , Matt Lager wrote:
>
>> Interesting. I feel like the performance is degraded quite a bit between two VPN points that display these messages vs. two VPN points that don't display these messages, though I could be wrong. Is your basic suggestion to not consider this a concern and continue forward with my VPN rollouts?
> Well as said "can be painful with a slow (serial) console".  If you are triggering the printf per packet and have enough pps your console can slow things down.
>
> The solution probably is to compile your own kernel and either have the PR problem fixed or the printf removed.   The latter can be done quickly the former needs a bit of time...
>
> /bz

believed to be clean.