Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 03:07:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      gregc@pm-tech.com (Greg Cronau)
To:        sheber@mwci.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpdate and firewall rules (maybe)

Sean Heber

>Hello.
>
>I had someone who knows firewall rules much better than I setup a system of
>mine for maximum security.  I just noticed that since I implemented those
>rules I can no longer use ntpdate.  It always seems to fail saying it cannot
>find a server.  After a bit of digging I'm pretty sure that the problem is
>simple--the packets can't get back to ntpdate.  So then I tried playing with
>my firewall rules.  Luckily the server is still sitting here and not in some
>far off hosting place as I managed to screw things up pretty bad.  :-)
>
>So, after a bunch of mucking around, I have decided I have no clue how to fix
> this NTP problem.   What rules do I need to add to my configuration to allow
> NTP to work?
>
>Here's what I'm using now:
>
> [List of rules deleted.]

Those arn't bad firewall rules, they could use some improvments, but
they'll do for now. For ntp you want to add the following rule just
before the last one:

$fwcmd add pass udp from any ntp to any ntp in recv ${oif}

Your firewall code should be able to resolve "ntp" using the contents
of /etc/services. If it doesn't, replace "ntp" in this rule with "123".

---
Greg Cronau
gregc@pm-tech.com