Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:32:50 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bugzilla? (was Re: Okay, I think I need some serious introduction ;-)

The Hermit Hacker said on Feb  9, 2003 at 15:23:52:
> For example, take a look at the oldest Critical ticket ... its from '98
> *and* deals with v3.x ... chances are the user has long since moved on to
> newer hardware (deals with the Cyrix CPU) or moved away from 3.x to the
> newer versions ...

Well, if the bug still exists, it's possible there are related later
bug reports, and if it doesn't exist, it was possible it was fixed as
followup to a different bug report.  Either way, dependency tracking
would help: if a later bug was classified as dependent on an earlier
one, then if one was closed by a developer, the other would be also
(without explicit action from the developer).

Even if the developer forgot to close the bug, the whole "tree" of
dependencies still exists, so when someone wakes up and starts to
close these reports, the entire tree can be killed off in one stroke.

Plus, duplicate bug handling will reduce the number of open bugs.
Having a list of "most frequently reported bugs" and "most recently
duplicated bugs" on the webpage (as bugzilla.mozilla.org does) would
also potentially reduce the number of bug reports quite a bit.

As I understand, all this is essentially impossible to do in GNATS,
and things are going to get worse.