Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:44:48 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ARG!!! 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostnam

Andrew C. Hornback:
 |>   Whatever.  Ensuring that all IPs ever allocated to users have their
 |>   very-own DNS name entry is not an important ISP service.  [I'm being
 |>   serious, not sarcastic.]
 |
 |Hmm, so, you should have an IP just dangling in mid-air?  *shakes his head*

Sure.  I'd prefer not be listed in a DNS zone transfer ('host -l') for
anyone methodically scanning systems.  Doesn't mean you won't scanned --
somewhat like having a private phone number -- but it can't hurt.

 |And what do you tell users when they try to use sites that require 128 bit
 |encryption and that encryption level requires proper resolution of the
 |address forward and backward?  "Oh, we don't support that, it's not
 |important..." ?  I can hear a herd of users running for other ISPs...

Ok, you've perked my interest.  What does reverse DNS lookup have to do
with 128-bit encryption.  You may be implying a specific form of encryption
(IPsec or something?).  I use 128-bit/1024-bit encryption in my e-mail
daily, without reverse DNS ;-)

Randall

--
Randall Hopper