Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 12:14:32 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

> > > 	Maybe we could give away our BIOS INT 13 FFS code and some kind
> > > FreeBSD hacker could munge it into unix land...
> >
> > That'd be an excellent start.  I take it that your FFS is proprietary
> > (ie. it's not TFFS-compatible)?
>
> Yes, but compatibility for non-removeble media may not be so important...

Indeed, and having something would be much better than having nothing.
8)

Most of the removable media these days seems to be ATA-based anyway,
with the FFS embedded in the device itself.

> > I might be available to do this, but if not I'd be more than happy to
> > help anyone that felt like undertaking the development of a generic
> > flash covering layer.
> >
> > (It's not really a filesystem so much as a block manager, correct?)
>
> 	Right, just logical-physical sector remapping - statistical
> erase-block/write-target ranking and maintaining erase block statistics in
> a distributed way. Our method is fairly memory intensive (about 4K RAM per
> M byte of drive) so mainly suited to smaller drives.

It sounds like it would best be implemented as a covering layer which
looks like a block device on top and uses a set of basic access
primitives on the bottom to access the flash device itself.

Hmm.  Is your code in C or x86 assembler?  Do you have (ready to hand)
functional documentation on the on-chip data structures, etc.?