Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:16:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com, hackers@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: crontab nit?

> : i18n question... around the world, when DST starts, what hour gets skipped?
> : When it ends, what hour gets repeated?
>
> OpenBSD just changed the time that daily was run.  There was some talk
> about doing a "real" fix for "time jumps", but I've not seen that come
> accross.  The "real fix" was to run all jobs that needed to be run
> when tehre is a time jump.  Not sure that is right, but that was what
> was discussed.

It's right, but it's wrong.

It's right that you should run all of them, but if someone has
put a time-order dependent set of jobs in, and expected that it
will "take no more than an hour, so I don't have to enforce ordering
except by time in crontab", then running all of them won't result
in the expected output.

...though there's no denying that time-order dependencies handled
through cron time-ordering instead of a linear scripting smacks of
weenie-hood.

It seems that the best fix is to run all of them, and supply a
"documentation fix" for the man page...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org