Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:23:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Marco Molteni" <molter@tin.it>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The GPL might kill itself ?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> Too beautiful to be true, but according to the GPL's objective, no code
> without source code availability should be included in/with the Linux
> kernel . This basicly kills two projects (under Linux): UDI and MOSIX.
>
> Look, for example at:
> 	http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il/txt_gpl.html
>
> If Linux and the FSF don't surrender their ideals, we could have a clear
> road ahead...

For those who don't know MOSIX, the following is taken from their web
page:

    MOSIX is a software module for supporting cluster computing. The core of
    MOSIX are adaptive resource sharing (load-balancing and memory
    ushering) algorithms and a preemptive (transparent) process migration
    mechanism, that allow a cluster of PCs (workstations and servers) to work
    cooperatively as if part of a single system. The MOSIX software provides
    some SMP/NUMA functionalities in a scalable cluster of PCs, for efficient
    execution of sequential and parallel applications.

I contacted them about a year ago. Do you know the platform on wich
they developed Mosix? BSD/OS!!!! I asked them if they planned a port to
FreeBSD. They replied that they were considering to move to Linux due _only_
to Linux widespread use (ie they understood it was a "marketing" move)!

They started with a BSD kernel and then moved to Linux. Now they have
problems with the GPL. Maybe it's the right time to contact them and
remember them of what the BSD licence is! ;-)

Marco
---
"Hi, I have a Compaq machine running Windows 95. How do I install FreeBSD?"
"I'm sorry, this is device driver testing: brain implants are two doors
 down on the right". (Bill Paul, on the freebsd-net mailing list)