Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:46:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Several questions that I can't seem to find on answers to on Google

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Charles Burns wrote:

> 1) Whenever I boot now, I get the message "recovering vi editor
> sessions:sendmail:not found"
> I assume that these are two separate messages and that someone just forgot
> the \n or something. Anyway, what vi editor sessions? I rarely use vi.

It's just checking for interrupted vi sessions. If you don't use vi, it
simply won't find any.

> 2) How on earth do I get rid of Sendmail? Whenever I delete sendmail, it
> breaks build world. Furthermore, why is it installed by default? It seems to
> be deeply imbedded in FreeBSD. I would think that, if anything, FreeBSD
> would install Qmail but I would really greatly prefer if I had the option of
> not installing any MTA.
> I have tried disabling sendmail in rc.conf.

You want an MTA present, if only for your periodic reports and whatever
other processes report to root or a user. Accept your fate, you're getting
an MTA whether you like it or not. :) Personally, I think it'll be a cold
day in hell when FreeBSD includes qmail in the base. Postfix maybe...

> 5) Speaking of that, some docs said that IDE devices are always named
> wd(xxxxx), but my / is "ad0". Is root an exception? Why?

It was changed from wd to ad in version 4. Some backward compatibility was
kept but it won't be there forever.

hth

-ac