Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:15:55 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psm0 on laptops.

> Modern laptops with an `inbuilt' mouse as well as an external mouse
> port allow usage to be changed by simply "plugging in" a PS-2 mouse
> when running Windows.

Not on my box.  You must first 'suspend' the box, then 'resume' it for
this to work.  Also, plugging in a mouse while the box is powered on is
a good way to blow out your keyboard controller. :(

> However, I noticed that FreeBSD 2.2.7 detects them both differently
> (generic PS/2 vs IntelliMouse) and hence if you boot up with one, you
> can't unplug and use the other.  Is this "fixed" in -current or is
> there some other way to "make it work" ?

Not that I'm aware of.  If you have it plugged in to the PS/2 port, you
*can* switch to the serial version after bootup by physically switching
it and re-configured X to use the serial port version.

The reason it works under Windblows is because the mouse driver is a
necessary part of the OS, and under FreeBSD it's just another device so
the OS/userland stuff isn't integrated like under Windows.  (Which also
explains why unix is generally more robust, since not everything is
integrated together with the OS...)

Nate