Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 00:23:08 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good Database was: Re: uptime on hub.freebsd.org

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Gary Palmer wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote in message ID
> <Pine.NEB.3.95.970917103511.4582E-100000@hub.org>:
> > > Speed is definitely a must, along with some nice features, like
> > > variable-length strings, BLOB support, nice CLI interface, professional
> > > support, and most importantly reliability. It will be used as a primary
> > > database for inventory tracking (about 400-2000 parts / day, each
> > > individually trackable w/ serial number), invoicing, warranty, etc., so it
> > > MUST work reliably.
> >
> > 	We are just about to release 6.2, which has had *alot* of work put
> > into it to improve speed issues, with alot of stuff planned for v6.3 to
> > improve that further.
>
> Hows the ODBC support? The last time I checked the freeware odbc
> `veneers' for PostgreSQL, they were sadly lacking, which stopped me
> deploying it :(

	Hrmmm...I haven't gotten into much JDBC/ODBC work yet, but v6.2
includes JDBC drivers as part of the distribution.  Not sure about the
PostODBC project though, but the "Third Party" page off of the web site
lists three:

	FreeODBC
	Openlink (Commercial product)
	PostODBC

	I know Openlink was working on a FreeBSD port, but its been so long
since I've gone to look, I don't know where things stand.  Being curious
though:

PostODBC doesn't seem to have had any changes since March 2nd, 1997, or at
least nothing new on its home page.

FreeODBC seems to be pretty dead from around that time too

And OpenLink's site seems to have grown into a maze :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org