Date:      Sun, 05 Apr 98 19:40:13 -0500
From:      Andrew Stevens <andrew@log.on.ca>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Using ICQ with an IP alias

-- [ From: Andrew Stevens * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Greetings once again!

   A few days ago my ppp problem was solved.  It turned out the I/O card in
my computer was too slow and couldn't communicate to the modem properly.  I
now have a new, faster card installed and things have been working without
any errors whatsoever.

   Anyway, now that the gateway is back up, I seem to have a problem running
certain chat programs from my Windows machine, which is now getting its
internet access from my unix box via an IP alias.  In particular I have been
using ICQ and Speak Freely; both of which work properly when I get my
internet access directly from the Windows machine itself.  For ease of
reading I have divided this quesiton into two parts to deal with the two
programs respectively:

   ICQ: I am able to establish chat sessions only if I initiate them.
Otherwise I will receive the request and click 'accept', but can't get any
further than that.  Also, instant messages from other users must be sent
through the ICQ server (as if I'm offline), otherwise, the message "can't
establish direct connection to user" is displayed.

   Speak Freely: The individual I'm talking to can hear me, but I can't hear
them.  I can see the RD light on my modem busy, but these signals are not
being passed on to my voice machine.

   I'm sure these problems are connected somehow.  I added the necessary
ports to /etc/services in hopes that this would end the problem, but no luck
.  I've also tried "alias deny_incoming no" at the ppp prompt.  Any thoughts
?

Thanks,

Andrew Stevens.