Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2000 18:56:29 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: You've lost it (was Re:No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) ::  (OS/2:Windows))))

At 04:40 PM 7/8/2000, Laurence Berland wrote:

>So we must not let this happen to FreeBSD, we must have native
>support!!! How do we get this?  We implement the FreeBSD api on Linux,
>so that people will write to FreeBSD instead.  Great! But, let's think
>for a second.  If it's bad to use emulators, if it hurts your platform
>of choice, then why on earth do you think that a Linux user would be
>fooled into using FreeBSD emulation?

Because they will mistake it for a feature.

>Which of course we know every Linux user wants to do.  The cry of Linux
>has always been "down with MS, up with FSF, and undermine
>Linux!!!"...Oh, wait, they *don't* want to undermine themselves.

They are much more fragmented than the FreeBSD community can be.

>Let's ignore for a second that you've told us to eliminate the
>linuxulator, leaving us high and dry when that emergency arrives or
>before your prophetic native ports pour forth from the sky,

I have said nothing of the kind. You obviously haven't read my earlier
messages, in which I have presented an exit strategy for emulation.

>and continue my line of thinking...

Which has now completely run off the rails, so what followed [Snip!]
is unrelated to what I've said. . Please read what I have written
before commenting.

>PHK wrote, in an email a bit back:
>"I un-subscribed from -hackers several years ago, because I could
>not keep up with the email load.  Since then I have dropped off
>several other lists as well for the very same reason.
>
>And I still get a lot of email.  A lot of it gets routed to /dev/null
>by filters:  People like Brett Glass will never make it onto my
>screen, commits to documents in languages I don't understand
>likewise, commits to ports as such.  All these things and more go
>the winter way without me ever even knowing about it."

Talk about closed-minded!

I'm afraid that this shows that PHK -- besides being rude -- may
want to filter out any message containing ideas which are thought-
provoking or which he does not already believe. Sad, as well as
an unwarranted personal attack.

--Brett