Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:01:06 +0200
From:      Jan Christian Meyer <Jan.Christian.Meyer@idi.ntnu.no>
To:        Brenlae MacMillan <brenlae@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lucent LT modem under FreeBSD

> I've read that the proper drivers are in the ports collection, but
> there's one big problem. The only way I'd be able to access the ports
> collection is with an internet connection, and to have an internet
> connection I need the Lucent winmodem drivers for FreeBSD.

Someone can probably suggest something more optimal, but FWIW, here's my
tedious manual procedure for installing ports without a network connection:

1. Try to compile the port, up to the point where it complains
2. Press Ctrl-C, interrupting the compilation
3. Make a note of the name of the missing file
4. Go to different computer with network connection, carrying floppy or CD-R
5. Download missing file from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/
6. Transfer it to /usr/ports/distfiles on target machine using floppy or CD-R
7. Lather, rinse, and repeat from step one until compilation no longer
complains

For only the ltmdm port (Lucent winmodem driver), this should not be an
astonishing amount of work, and afterwards you can install your ports in
style like the cool kids do. :)

Good luck,
 -Jan Christian