Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Competitor's DNS misconfig, or mine?

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Mike Grommet wrote:

> I have recently transferred several virtual domains to another web hosting
> service, but my nameserver does not see the domains on look up (none of the
> ones I've transferred to this one hosting service).  The interesting thing
> is that I have transferred other domains to other hosts and havent had this
> problem so I'm having difficullty accepting that its my problem, but hey it
> could be I guess.  I will outline what I see below:

I assume that you were previously serving DNS for the domains.  Did you
remove them from your DNS zone files, increase the serial number, and
restarted named?

> ok, so then I do a nslookup for www.chesserrealty.com from my name server I
> get
> No match for "WWW.CHESSERREALTY.COM".
>
> of course I cant ping em or traceroute them since I cant look them up :)

> so now this is weird.  these domains have been transferred for quite a
> long long time. I got to looking in my log files and I see lots of
> entries like this:
>
> Aug 15 14:26:56 ns named[11593]: "151.21.208.in-addr.arpa IN NS" points to a
> CNAME (ns1.grnco.net)

You cannot have a reverse record pointing to a CNAME, it must point to an
A record.  Fix your zone file and restart named.

If you don't already have it the O'Reily book 'DNS and BIND' is amust-buy
for DNS admins.