Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:25:15 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        exmh-users@redhat.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   exmh can't send while offline

Have been looking for the reason sendmail 8.9.2 won't accept mail from
exmh when I'm offline (not connected to the 'net or DNS). Am getting
closer to a solution.

The default sendmail.cf generated for FreeBSD 3.0-stable contains:

# Resolve map (to check if a host exists in check_mail)
Kresolve host -a<OK> -T<TEMP>

Offline (as I am now) when I try host:

nospam: {1004} hostname
nospam.hiwaay.net
nospam: {1005} host `hostname`
Host not found, try again.
nospam: {1006}

The above correctly resolves when connected to the net.
"nospam.hiwaay.net" is in DNS as 127.0.0.1. Looked like a good hostname
to use for a dialup connection with dynamic IP address.

Using /usr/bin/mail to send mail to myself the following is logged by
sendmail:

Feb 12 18:42:44 nospam sendmail[32457]: SAA32457: from=dkelly, size=39, class=0, pri=30039, nrcpts=1, msgid=<199902130042.SAA32457@nospam.hiwaay.net>, relay=dkelly@localhost

Attempting to do the same thing with exmh 2.0.2 and nmh 1.0 (same thing
yesterday when I was using mh-6.8.4, all installed from the ports
collection):

Feb 12 18:44:39 nospam sendmail[32483]: SAA32483: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net>, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1], reject=451 <dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net>... Sender domain must resolve
Feb 12 18:44:39 nospam sendmail[32483]: SAA32483: from=<dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net>, size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

The things that are different are the relay= and from= values. Also exmh
lacks a mesgid=. Other variables are =0.

Where is the problem? What is it in the above which upsets sendmail
forcing it to apply check_mail to me? Or does /bin/mail invoke sendmail
directly while exmh makes a network connection to sendmail?