Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:24:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Plug-n-Pray Ethernet card

Okay, so I just did something VERY stupid and bought an ISA PnP Ethernet
card.  I'll never do that again.  Promise.  PCI all the way for me, yes
sir-ee!

The card claims to be NE2000 compatible, or, well, actually, the guy who
sold it to me claims it's NE2000 compatible.  Now to my problem...

I don't have the slightest clue how to get it to work.

My PnP BIOS reports it as a "Network Controller" on IRQ 11.
dmesg shows:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: AXE2201 [0x01220507] Serial 0x07c86d05 Comp ID: PNP80d6
[0xd680d041]

I have the ed0 device in my kernel, so I tried just plugging-and-playing.
Bad idea.  The PnP config that normally goes with my PnP AWE64 got bumped
to the network card.  This hosed all sorts of things up, including (ugh)
syscons.  So I changed the CSN in the AWE64's entries in my userconfig
script to 2, and added "pnp 1 0 port0 0x280 irq0 11" in hopes that I'd get
the card configured and popped onto 0x280, where ed0 expected it.  Nope.

In dmesg appeared:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: AXE2201 [0x01220507] Serial 0x07c86d05 Comp ID: PNP80d6
[0xd680d041]
Warning: LDN 1 does not exist
Warning: LDN 1 does not exist
Warning: LDN 2 does not exist
Warning: LDN 2 does not exist
CSN 1 is disabled.

Any hints here?  I'm running -CURRENT from Dec 15th.

--
Brian Buchanan                                   brian@smarter.than.nu
                                                 brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

                -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759