Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:32:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hushlogin attribute

--- Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.no-ip.com> wrote:
> Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Yes, there are few words about one should run 'cap_mkdb
> > /etc/login.conf' after each change. But this is not what I propose to
> > add to the manual page and /etc/login.conf is not a manual page by
> > itself. At first I wasn't pay attention to these lines at all because I
> > already read the manual and I instinctively wasn't expected to find any
> > new information in /etc/login.conf. FreeBSD 4.8 Errata have a much
> > better explanation than lines 3 and 5 on /etc/login.conf. Why not to
> > add something like that to the login.conf(5) manual page?
>
> That makes sense.  Feel free to submit such a change.

Thanks for suggestion. I submited a docs/75068 PR about that.

> > By the way, do you know why hushlogin attribute doesn't work from the
> > ~/.login_conf or how it can work from there? Thank you in advance.
>
> I haven't used it in a while, but I thought that one worked.  After
> you rebuild the database, of course.  I'm fairly sure it assumes your
> login session is actually using login(1), though.

Rebuilding the /etc/login.conf.db and building ~/.login_conf.db doesn't
help. If you're interesting, take a look on a bin/75001 PR with my patch of
login(1). BTW that patch also fixes the same problem with nocheckmail
attribute in user's '.login_conf'.