Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:24:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        "James Snow" <snow@teardrop.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad X40 (2371-H9U) - Atheros attach fails?

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 03:58:36AM -0500, James Snow wrote:
>> ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xd0200000-0xd020ffff irq 21 at device 2.0
>> on pci2
>> ath0: mac 5.9 phy 4.3 5ghz radio 3.6
>> ath0: unable to collect channel list from hal
>> device_attach: ath0 attach returned 22

> I believe this is my problem:

> hw.ath.hal.version: 0.9.6.3

> Looking at CVS
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/README>;
> it seems as though an updated ath_hal module that supports newer cards
> was committed on 2004/12/08, but has not yet trickled down to -stable.
> Mine is from 2003.

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite A60 (JL1) with built-in Atheros
wireless.  I've got 6-CURRENT from Jan 10 installed and it's giving me
very nice, solid connections using either WEP or WPA (using
wpa_supplicant port).

There are patches for the net80211 and ath layers that apply to
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE.  However, they are no longer available on the
FreeBSD website, and nobody seems to have a copy of them anymore.  :(
These patches provided solid connections using WEP for my three
Atheros cards.  Maybe you'll have better luck finding them (not the
Aug 24 patchset, the one after that).

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]