Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:26:52 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>
To:        pechter@lakewood.com
Cc:        chat list <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate

On Wed, Sep 03, 1997 at 04:32:53PM -0400, Bill Pechter wrote:
> > I had the "opportunity" to run NT on some PPC systems while still at IBM
> > and I have to say I didn't like it any more on those systems than I do
> > on Intel systems.
> >
> > --
> > Bob Willcox	       Deliberation, n.: The act of examining one's bread
> > bob@luke.pmr.com         to determine which side it is buttered on.
> > Austin, TX                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
> >

> Geez, Bob... why not a CHEAP AIX pc...

Well, we did run AIX on it (I was a member of the 6 person team that did
the port of AIX 4.1 to the first PPC) and they still do, its just not
called a PC and is marketed as a workstation instead (i.e., different
channels and higher margins).  There was also Solaris running on it
for awhile.  From my point of view at the time it seemed apparent that
politics were a major problem with IBM's attempts to get PPC into the PC
market.  With the demise of the PPS (Power Personal Systems) division so
went all hopes of a PPC based PC from IBM. :-(

> Actually, I wish they would've done a real nice OS/2 and Warp Server for
> the PPC.

More politics, of course.  The OS/2 on PPC debacle (Mach 3.0 microkernel
based, aka Workplace OS) in my opinion had alot to do with the failure
of PPS.  Without OS/2 running on the PPCs (only AIX, Solaris, &
NT at the time), IBM refused to market them into the PC channels.
Consequently, PPS had no products to sell and they failed to make their
business plan -- they were history.

Note that all of this is just my opinion.  I certainly don't speak for
IBM...never did.