Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:14:05 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        Paijo <psutomo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fw: can not retrieve email using popper

--nVMJ2NtxeReIH9PS

* Paijo <psutomo@yahoo.com> [20010223 14:35]: writing on the subject 'Fw: c=
an not retrieve email using popper'
Paijo> Wash,
Paijo>=20
Paijo> Thank you for your help. Sorry for not being more specific. I delibe=
rately
Paijo> created those new accounts because I have
Paijo> another computer running that needs to retrieve this message using b=
ob1
Paijo> account through the POP3 protocol.
Paijo>=20
Paijo>=20
Paijo> Regards,
Paijo>=20
Paijo>=20
Paijo> Paijo

That is still not clear enough. But still i am sure you can use a better wa=
y, as I described,=20
like creating a new user john1, and still use a .forward file to let john g=
et the mail and also=20
give a copy to john1.

your .forward file in user john's home directory would have these two lines:
/var/mail/john
john1@domain_name

I am still assuming that your system is using mbox format (placing mails in=
 /var/mail/some_username)

Paijo> ----- Original Message -----
Paijo> From: Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Paijo> To: Paijo <psutomo@yahoo.com>
Paijo> Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 6:17 PM
Paijo> Subject: Re: can not retrieve email using popper
Paijo>=20
Paijo>=20
Paijo>=20
Paijo> ----- DELETED -----
Paijo>=20
Paijo> The delivery has nothing to do with Popper. It is sendmail which doe=
s the
Paijo> delivery.
Paijo> If you only want to backup mail, why don't you simply make a copy to
Paijo> some_directory/some_file
Paijo>=20
Paijo> In bob's home directory, put a .forward file which saves a copy in h=
is
Paijo> file and also saves a copy to some place..
Paijo>=20
Paijo> Something like,
Paijo>=20
Paijo> wash:~$ cat .forward
Paijo> /var/mail/john
Paijo> /usr/backups/Mail/john
Paijo>=20
Paijo> Depending on whether you use Mutt or Elm or some other MUA, there wi=
ll
Paijo> always be a means to access this file.
Paijo> With Elm, you can do
Paijo>=20
Paijo> elm -f /usr/backups/Mail/john (make sure the file is woned by user j=
ohn)
Paijo> It is also possible to open the file with mutt.
Paijo>=20
Paijo> That is just one method. Don't mess up the /var/mail
Paijo>=20
Paijo>=20
Paijo> -Wash
Paijo>=20
Paijo>=20

Paijo> * Paijo <psutomo@yahoo.com> [20010223 13:56]: writing on the subject=
 'can not retrieve email using popper'
Paijo> Paijo> Hi,
Paijo> Paijo>=20
Paijo> Paijo> I have just created some new accounts. This new accounts were=
 intended as a backup email account for the other accounts.
Paijo> Paijo> For example my existing accouts are bob and john. And my new =
accounts is bob1 and john1. I want bob1 to receive the=20
Paijo> Paijo> same messages as bob and so john1.=20
Paijo> Paijo> I did this by manipulating the aliases file like this ->   =
=20
Paijo> Paijo>    bobg: bob, bob1
Paijo> Paijo>    johnm: john, john1
Paijo> Paijo>=20
Paijo> Paijo> And then I replaced newly created /var/mail/bob1 file with /v=
ar/mail/bob file.
Paijo> Paijo>=20
Paijo> Paijo> But, what happened is, I got this error message from the popp=
er daemon when I tried to retrieve messages for account bob1:
Paijo> Paijo>    unable to process From lines  (envelopes), change recognit=
ion modes
[...]
Paijo> With Elm, you can do=20
Paijo>=20
Paijo> elm -f /usr/backups/Mail/john (make sure the file is woned by user j=
ohn)
Paijo> It is also possible to open the file with mutt.
Paijo>=20
Paijo> That is just one method. Don't mess up the /var/mail
Paijo>=20
Paijo>=20
Paijo> -Wash
Paijo>=20
Paijo> --
Paijo> Odhiambo Washington Inter-Connect Ltd.,
Paijo> wash@iconnect.co.ke 5th Flr Furaha Plaza
Paijo> Tel: 254 11 222604 Nkrumah Rd.,
Paijo> Fax: 254 11 222636 PO Box 83613 MOMBASA, KE.
Paijo>=20
Paijo> The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray. -Robert =
G.=20
Paijo> Ingersoll=20

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke 5th Flr Furaha Plaza
Tel: 254 11 222604 Nkrumah Rd.,
Fax: 254 11 222636 PO Box 83613 MOMBASA, KE.

He doesn't talk bollocks all the time: only when he's awake.=20

--nVMJ2NtxeReIH9PS

--nVMJ2NtxeReIH9PS--