Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:57:05 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD Multimedia <FreeBSD-Multimedia@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Questions about ATI Radeon 8500 support in XF86/DRI

Originally to Eric Anholt, but forwarded to list for wider audience.

> The 8500 is r200.  Much faster and may have more features supported some
> day.

Ok, I've done some shopping around and there appear to be several models
from ATI[1] and some rebranded versions. Excluding the ALL-IN-WONDER
models, we have:

RADEON 8500 64MB
	http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon8500/specs.html
RADEON 8500 128MB
	http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon8500128/specs.html
RADEON 8500LE 64MB
	http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon8500le/specs.html
RADEON 8500LE 128MB
	(Not listed on ATI's site, but available - see eg.[2])

Are all these supported? Is there a difference in support between the 8500
and 8500LE GPU (not that I can see what the difference between the GPUs
themselves is)?

I'm also a bit confused about ATI's categorisation of some 8500 cards as
"Legacy"[1]. I presume this means that they aren't currently producing
them.

If you were choosing between the 8500 64MB and the 8500LE 128MB, which
yould you pick and why?

> For 4.x you use drm-kmod.

I've added the agp driver the my kernel and radeon.ko loads just fine.

# dmesg | fgrep agp
agp0: <Intel 82443LX (440 LX) host to PCI bridge> mem 0xf4000000-0xf7ffffff at device 0.0 on pci0
# kldstat | fgrep radeon
 4    1 0xc15d9000 13000    radeon.ko

> We don't have all the hardware listed in agp(4), there's a ton of it.

Is it worth a PR for the man page? I'd say it's clearly misleading. At the
least it should mention something about (other) host to PCI bridges and
DRM for 4.x.

Will DRI in XFree86 4.2.1 work with the 8500? Will there be a differnece
in support in 4.3?

[1] http://www.ati.com/products/builtdesktoppc.html
[2] http://hmcomputer.techgather.com/cgi-bin/shopzone30.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=772

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |

----- End forwarded message -----

-Andrew-