Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 00:00:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum RAID-5 again

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Greg Skouby wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I got this sample RAID-5 config off of lemis.com/vinum and it
> seems over simplified to the point where I don't think I understand it. If
> at any time in this message you think I need to go back and RTFM please
> stop reading and let me know that. This is the sample config for RAID-5
> that I am referring to:
>
> drive e device /dev/da6h
> volume raid5
>   plex org raid5 512k
>     sd length 128m drive a
>     sd length 128m drive b
>     sd length 128m drive c
>     sd length 128m drive d
>     sd length 128m drive e
>

> I have a couple of questions about this. Is this config only slicing up
> one drive? That is what I gather from the config but the theory behind
> RAID-5 is that you need at least 3 for there to be a point in using
> RAID-5. So one of my many questions is that where do the drive a, drive b,
> drive c, drive d, and drive e 's come from? Are there seperated
> statements for those devices like there is for the drive e? Something such
> as  drive a devide /dev/da0h?

I think there is an implied

drive a device /dev/da2h
drive b device /dev/da3h
drive c device /dev/da4h
drive d device /dev/da5h

before the "drive e device /dev/da6h" line.

it should be noted that some of the shortcuts used in the vinum manpage
that aren't noted as being shortcuts can make things confusing for the
first time user.

the "drive" commands just provide a meaningful alias to /dev/ entries.

-Alfred

> I guess I am just confused. Let me hit you up with the scenario that I am
> trying to use RAID-5 in. I have 4 external seagate drives of 23gigs each.
> I want to use those 4 drives in a RAID-5 array. They are da0 through da3.
> The drive where the OS sits is da4. I am wondering what I need to do to
> get RAID-5 running across those four drives. Thanks for all of your help.
> I appreciated it.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]