Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:16:06 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: flags settings for modules

In message <20010314111629.A1018@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
: So the question is do we want to keep my change?  If so, shouldn't we use
: "schg" in a *lot* more places?  Otherwise it's use is nebulous

I think the change is premature.  Until such time as we have a
convenient way to build a system that all vectors to compromise of
schg have been plugged, setting it to gain "security" is at best
folly.

I do not argue that one could set schg on files by hand and might be
able to not miss any, such an undertaking is still very very
difficult.  You have to make sure that all the rc scripts are schg.
And then all scripts that are run before we raise secure level.  And
all binaries that are touched (and facist path policing of all
scripts).  And then there's all the libraries that are linked in
against those binaries.  And then there are all the modules loaded by
default or by the loader.  And you have to secure the loader agianst
change in a similar way.  And let's not forget any config files that
all these files/programs use.  Oh, and let's not forget those things
that are too obscure for me to think of there.

There are likely items in the list that I've forgotten.  Since the
list is still so long, and since there's no one working on tightening
things up, I think that adding schg to modules is premature and will
cause more hassles than it is worth.

Before people think that I don't think that this is worth it, or that
I have a negative attitude, I would like to point out that I think
work in this area would be beneficial.

Warmer