Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 20:40:40 GMT
From:      Daniel Barron <nettle@jadeb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   After 170 days uptime, now reboots every few hours

After someone helped me port DansGuardian from Linux to FreeBSD - I fell in
love with its reliablity and stability and logical filesystem layout.  I
found the package management very good as well.  About 175 days ago I moved
my mail/dns/web server to a FreeBSD 4.4 from Linux.

I, essentially, installed FBSD and booted it once and have never had to
reboot or had any problems with it for 170 days.  But a couple of days ago
it rebooted without reason.  I saw nothing in the messages or any other log.

A day later and the rebooting came every few hours.  Nothing gets logged.
Sometimes it does not reboot, I just can't ssh or imap or web to it.  But I
can ping it.

I always keep the box (cel766 10Gb 256Mb) on a UPS.

One clue might be that it started happening the day it moved house so I
suspect the HD is on its way out.  Still under its warranty as well.

I am no FBSD expert but I'm used to coding on nix boxes.

My question is; how do I work out whats wrong?  What tools on FBSD can I use
to diagnose a rebooting (with nothing being logged) machine?

It has no floppy drive so I can't use my usual memory checking and diagnosis
software I usually use.

--
Daniel Barron
(Visit http://dansguardian.org/ - True web content filtering for all)