Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:40:25 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

> The most accurate external indication of swap space reqs is in /proc/???/map
> for ranges that are mapped COW and rw access;  So it would be interesting to
> compare the ps virtual size with the proc filesystem on various machines.
> That still doesn't account for SYSV shared memory regions (which can be
> paged also.)

will there be a program available for reading /proc/???/map in any time soon?

> I agree that more swap is better, but at least we need to KILL the notion
> that 2 X RAM is enough (IMO, 2 X RAM is never enough)!!!

somehow, i've learned the formula for swap space to be 3.5 * ram

wasnt that the "old" unix way? or something.

is there _any_ disadvantages from having a _lots_ of swap? since on "small"
machines i tend to use, depending the amount of drives, swap from 24 to
72 megs... on each drives. on servers i tend to use 128 megs on each drive,
and i always have atleast two drives... assuming i'd have 6 drives i would
have some 700+ megs of swap, and probably "just" 128 megs ram, would i run
into troubles? (with 2gig drive it's "easy" to give out 128 megs for swap)

what i mean, is there a number above which i'd get into troubles? (like say
1024 megs)

what kinds of swap spaces one needs on a news server? on a web server? i
rather would not swap at all, but i'm not the one who pays the ram... =)

> John

mickey