Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:17:00 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "mikel" <mikel@ocsinternet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IMAP

Thanks for the response mikel

What exactly do you mean by "IMAP replicates the entire mailbox contents
each time you connect" ?? I must be understanding something different than
you intended because as I read that, "replicate" implies the space used by
mail on the server would double every time its read & obviously thats
impossible. As I understand it the idea of IMAP is that mail stays on the
server rather than being downloaded to a POP3 client, so its easy to access
IMAP from any remote modern style GUI client.

Four of the current email accounts reside on bryden.apana.org.au, plus one
each on richardson.apana.org.au, gargoyle.apana.org.au, almplastic.com .....
a few webmail accounts too but as far as I know its not yet possible to
retrieve those in anything but Outlook Express or regular browsers.