Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:00:32 -0800
From:      Nathaniel Schein <nschein@prisa.com>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpc.statd unregistered

I found out that the problem is caused by a misconfigured loopback adapter
"lo0".  When sysinstall configures "/etc/rc.conf" it defines the network
adapters as:

network_interfaces="xl0 auto"

After I figured out the problem and submitted a bug report and fix it was
pointed out by a Gentileman that this bug was published in:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.3R/errata.html

Although only mentioned in errata-3.3 this problem persists across 3.2 and
3.3 and should be added to the applicable documents.

Errata suggests substituting "auto" with "lo0" in "/etc/rc.conf" but I have
found that unless you are aliasing network adapters you can leave out any
such references. "auto" in "/etc/defaults/rc.conf" works just fine.