Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 94 17:17:38 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        karant@gallium.csusb.edu (Dr. Yasha Karant)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnet "daemon" for Novell NetWare

[ ... per subject ... ]

> Their immediate plan is to put two 802.3 10Base cards in the Novell
> server; one of these cards will run only the present Novell
> IPX/SPX/... proprietary stack, the other is intended to run a TCP/IP/...
> stack so that external machines can initiate telnet sessions into the
> Novell NetWare `server ("fire up a Novell login").  What is the equivalent
> of the daemon in the NetWare world which responds to telnet?  Is there
> any source code or free (PD, shareware, GPL, ... ) software to do
> this?  Any suggestions on whom to contact?

There is a routing IPX for Linux; it's not very diffivult to make one.

IPX is now documented, and the docs are available from Novell (you
got me on who'd you talk to -- I haven't a clue there).

The "gateway" function could probably be handled by either setting
out a 'pad' as if it were a modem pool (there is an INT14 redirector
for modem sharing) and having the 'pad' pretending it's a modem
server, but when you connect, giving a telnet> style prompt.

The only other alternative is a winsock.dll or other type of "apparent"
TCP/IP interface from the client application perspective that talks
IPX to a gateway program.

AT&T's LANMAN offering has this -- they call it "TAP" or "TCP Access
Program" that talks SMB to a client that talks SMB.

If you take this route, it's probably be quite easy to start with
say the "term" stuff ("Term" the TCP access program for UNIX) and
modify it.

At one time I wrote something similar to the AT&T stuff for NetWare
assuming UnixWare or some other UNIX with a TLI accessable IPX
implementation, but I could neither convinve Novell to sell it nor
convince them to let me give it away.  Part of the problem is that
it had to have an assigned number to let it SAP out of, and they
wouldn't assign one to the service type.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.