Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 15:41:38 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting X to recognise a UK keyboard

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 11:29:28PM +1000, David Gerard wrote:

> I have this Compaq Internet keyboard, UK version. The system knows it's a
> UK keyboard at the console, but X doesn't seem to have a clue and keys give
> their UK characters.
>
> Here's the keyboard bits from XF86Config:
>
>     Identifier  "Keyboard1"
>     Driver      "Keyboard"
>     Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
>     Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
>     Option "XkbLayout"  "gb"
>
> Changing "pc105" to "compaq" does nothing either.

Does that 'Identifier  "Keyboard1"' line have a corresponding

line in the ServerLayout section of XF86Config? I ask only because if
that keyboard is the only keyboard attached to your system, I'd expect
it to be referred to as 'Keyboard0' in both the ServerLayout and the
appropriate InputDevice sections.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way