Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 00:01:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Splash Background Color

On 09-Jul-99 Randall Hopper wrote:
> John Baldwin:
>  |I'm happy to report that the splash screen gallery is available again at
>  |http://www.cslab.vt.edu/~jobaldwi/splash/
>
> Is there a way to change the background (overscan) color used to display
> VESA splash pics?
>
> Those saturn splash screens look nice, but the overscan is fire engine read
> -- most annoying.

In my experience it seems to be specific to the video cards.  I've seen it on a
S3-based Diamond card and ATI Rage PRO's, while my Matrox G200 and a Cirrus
Logic at work have black overscans.  Go figure.  It should be a couple of
simple out's to the appropriate ports to set the overscan color, but I don't
have my VGA book handy. :(

> Thanks,
>
> Randall

---