Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 17:18:01 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Learning perl

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 13:10:05 EDT, Matthew Seaman scribbled these
curious markings:
> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 11:48:42AM -0400, JJB wrote:
> > Looking for recommendations of best web sites for tutorials on
> > learning perl,
> > asking questions of peer group, lookup syntax, paper books, ETC.
>=20
> Three things:
>=20
> The Camel:  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl3/
>=20
> The Llama:  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/
>=20
> and the Monks:  http://www.perlmonks.org/
>=20
> 	Cheers,
>=20
> 	Matthew
>=20

I can only mirror Matthew's advice with wholehearted enthusiasm. Start
with the Llama, work your way to the Camel, and be sure to learn about
the great services offered by the Monks. I have a couple of titles to
add:

Mastering Regular Expressions[1]: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex2

Mastering Algorithms with Perl[2]: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/maperl

[1]: Not specifically Perl-oriented, but a must-read regardless.
[2]: Decent algorithms can speed up 90% of the code that you write. And
when they can't, it's often beyond the capability of the software to=20
help you.

If you're really serious about learning and using Perl, you'll also want
to look into many of the application-specific books written with Perl as
the target language. There's database handling, XML processing, even
bioinformatics. Most of these are O'Reilly titles, with at least a
couple of major exceptions: Damian Conway's book on objects, and Lincoln
Stein's (of CGI.pm fame) book on networking.

--=20
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU--