Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:07:27 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
Cc:        scanner@jurai.net, Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Source (fwd)

On Monday,  6 November 2000 at 13:17:52 -0800, Heredity Choice wrote:
> On Sunday, 05 November, 2000 17:28 PM, scanner@jurai.net wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Joe Warner wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I've already seen this one.  Dru Lavigne posted
>>> this one a while back.  It's pretty funny!  8^)
>>>
>>> Maybe it was just a rumor.  Microsoft doesn't really
>>> have any plans to create a Linux/UNIX variant...
>>> ....or do they? <shudder>  8^P
>>

>> 	They did once already. It was called XENIX.
>> If they still have it, they could dust it off, slap in a linux kernel and
>> call it MS linux.
>
> Xenix was Microsoft's 16-bit UNIX developed to run on the IBM PC family. It
> was a real UNIX, multiuser and multitasking and a different ballgame from
> DOS.  It was the first UNIX-derived OS to run on the PC platform and paved
> the way for FreeBSD. Microsoft sold Xenix to SCO.

Hmm.  IIRC they did it in cooperation.

> The advent of the 32-bit I386 made Xenix obsolescent.

No, there are 32 bit versions of XENIX.  I did some serious work on a
thing called XENIX System V in the 1992-1994 timeframe, running on
i386s.  The main issue was that they didn't go beyond 16 MB (some
strange memory model, I suppose), IP performance was abysmal, and they
didn't do X or NFS.

Greg