Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:12:06 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   jail manpage

I've been trying get jails working on my 5.3-RELEASE-p2 machine.  I've
tried following the instructions in man 8 jail

D=/here/is/the/jail
cd /usr/src
mkdir -p $D
make world DESTDIR=$D
cd etc
make distribution DESTDIR=$D
mount_devfs devfs $D/dev
cd $D
ln -sf dev/null kernel

It dies at make world DESTDIR=$D with the following error:

cc -0 -pipe -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include
c/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c

make: don't know how to make /jail/test/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
***Error code 2
Stopping /usr/src

Surprisingly I found a post to -questions that has the exact same
error using the same commands that I did.  The thread never does make
clear as to whether the poster got it working.

57d710000501131800788ec662@mail.gmail.com

I found a tutorial @
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1151/sam0105d/0105d.htm

D=/home/jpaetzel/jail
cd /usr/src
make hierarchy DESTDIR=$D
make obj
make depend
make all
make install DESTDIR=$D
cd $D
ln -sf dev/null kernel
ifconfig fxp0 alias 10.0.0.11 netmask 255.255.255.255

start the jail:
jail /home/jpaetzel/jail jail.tcbug.org /bin/sh

I'm still unclear on how to start the jail at boot time

I put the following into /etc/rc.conf

jail_enable="YES"
jail_list="vjail"
jail_vjail_rootdir="/home/jpaetzel/jail"
jail_vjail_hostname="jail.tcbug.org"
jail_vjail_ip="10.0.0.11"
jail_vjail_exec="/bin/sh /etc/rc"

As far as I  can tell jail is not starting at boot time.

I know I'm sort of rambling (I'm trying to document as I go here) if
someone can spot my mistakes I'd appreciate it. :)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel