Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:26:06 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis Glatting <dg@pki2.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with stable/9 and LSI controlers?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:11:38 -0700, Dennis Glatting wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:21:02 -0700, Dennis Glatting wrote:
> >>
> >>Today I updated several systems against stable/9 that had not bee updated
> >>in ~five months. Two of the systems are serviced by LSI 2008 controllers
> >>with a RAID1 array housing the operating system.
> >>
> >>These systems no longer properly boot.
> >>
> >>Specifically, they begin the boot process but bomb when they try to mount
> >>root. Neither system sees the GPT partitions of the boot disk at the
> >>"mountroot>" prompt. On one system I replaced the hard disks,
> >>repartitioned, and reinstalled but the problem continued.
> >>
> >>I don't see any mention of geom or controller update in UPDATING but I
> >>know they have been updated because I saw their revisions fly actross my
> >>screen during the svn update. Also, I am running IR vers 16 on my
> >>controllers, which is the latest version of LSI firmware.
> >>
> >>Is there some new action I have to take to sucessfully boot LSI disks
> >>against the updated kernel?
> >
> >Can you try the mpslsi driver from LSI's web site and see if that works?
> >
> >If it does, then it is a problem we've introduced locally.
> >

> I'll give it a shot but just to be clear, I have been running the 16
> firmware for months.

The issue is very likely in the driver, not the firmware.  I'm just
trying to figure out whether it broke in LSI's Phase 16 or in our
additional changes in FreeBSD.

In any case, I've reproduced the problem, and hopefully I'll know soon
where the issue is.

So don't worry about trying LSI's driver.  Just go back to the previous
version of stable/9 that worked for you until we fix it.

This only affects RAID volumes, not regular disks.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@FreeBSD.ORG