Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:34:25 -0800
From:      Forrest <praxis@techpraxis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple PPP connections and switching dynamically between them

On 3/18/01 7:31 PM, "Yusuf Goolamabbas" <yusufg@outblaze.com> is said to
have spake:

> Hi, A friend of mine asked me if the following was possible
>
> A FreeBSD box has multiple analog modems [56K], each of these modems
> is dialed-up to a different ISP. The BSD box also acts as a gateway to
> a LAN of Windoze boxen.
>
> For redundancy purposes, my friend would like the gateway to switch to
> a different ISP automatically should anyone analog link break down
> [poor man's multi-homing/BGP ?]
>
> Is this possible, any recipes or war stories from people who have done
> this. If there is a hardware appliance which one buys and can do this
> stuff. Pointers to that would also be appreciated
>
> Regards, Yusuf

Yusuf, I am interested in the same general capability -- except in my case,
I want to make the FreeBSD box serve as a gateway using a DSL connection
(which comes into another router) and a multilink PPP connection to the same
ISP or two different ISPs.  There is a real dearth of information on this
kind of setup, if anyone would help us put together some information chunks
on this I am sure Yusuf and I would be grateful -- maybe a "redundancy
multilink bandwidth aggregator how-to for FreeBSD" would be in the offing?
I have a website where such things could be posted with a minimum of fuss.
Also, as a refugee from the craziness of the Linux world, I am very
interested in helping with assembling a "How-to" like directory for FreeBSD.

Any bites?

Forrest