Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:28:38 -0800
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Advocacy

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 10:16:11AM -0700, Donald Wilde wrote:
> Bill Swingle wrote:
>
> > I totally agree with the previously said benefits of some sort of
> > promotional disk. That said, I think it is important that, while
> > impressing the user and showing them the benefits of FreeBSD, the disk
> > should not misrepresent what an actual FreeBSD install is like
> > after-the-fact. I like the apache idea for the demo disk but it doesnt
> > seem like the kind of thing that we would want in a _real_ install. Just
> > imagine the user running the demo, getting excited about FreeBSD, then
> > doing a real install and running into twm. Ugh.
>
> And that's another thing I'd like to see changed. Bob wanted to talk
> about improvements to the install process, and we'd like to see another
> layer of menu after "Congrats! You've now got FreeBSD installed..." that
> would allow them to select from some preconfigured installs including a
> few different desktops, a webserver, a SAMBA server, etc. or simply
> ignore all of those and jump right into the packages and ports stuff.
> This can all be done with scripts that call pkg_add and drop config
> files (.xinitrc and .fvwmrc, for example) into their home directories.
> As long as we stay away from OPTIMIZING X Windows for their graphics
> card, we can make decent installs without having to do any probing.

I think this is a great idea but as Jordan will be quick to acuratly point
out, we've talked about this before but nothing has happened. Therefore,
I am volunteering myself to work on such a project. Anyone else
interested in working on such a project? (seriously)

> It's important that we consider any "improvements" we make from the
> perspective of the SysAdmin user as well as Joe LinWin. We don't want to
> make it harder for him to do his job, but adding more options doesn't
> impact him unless we overrun the CD.

If is is implemented in a way that SysAdmin types can write their own
default pkg_add scripts and execute them from the proposed menu it might
even help out those sysadmins that do regular installs.

> Since this is just a few K of
> scriptwork except for programs like Netscape, we're not in danger of
> that. Worst comes to worst, we'll have an 'insert CD #3' message dialog
> for programs that don't exist on CD #1.

I would say this is acceptable accept it kinda blows the whole "first
disk is mostly self-contained" deal.

> I'd like to see a preconfigured disk-install, too, that would be even
> more brainless than the existing Novice install.

I'm not sure I get your drift, can you ellaborate? What do you mean by
disk-install?

-Bill

--
-=| Bill Swingle - <unfurl@dub.net>
-=| "I hate quotations." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson