Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 19:08:22 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Matt Braithwaite <mab@alink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can I do about ``No Plug-n-Play devices were found''?

> You mean, my serial port is a PCI device?  Foo.

	Erm... yes and no... I don't know what they're calling it these
days, but it's actually tied into the bus of your motherboard.

> One of the things that's not clear to me about PnP is whether there's
> some kind of PnP `agent' that the OS communicates with.  When I
> compiled pnpinfo with -DDEBUG it seemed that it was probing for
> devices at a bunch of addresses, which would seem to be unnecessary if
> there were one entity that the OS could communicate with to receive an
> enumeration of all PnP devices in the system.

	The 'agent' is probally partially the motherboards BIOS, and the
BIOS of any PNP cards in your system. In my dial-up system, my modem is a
Plug and Pray. The BIOS on boot up of the system detects this fact, looks
for the PNP ID string, assigns or reserves the IRQ and addresses for it
and allows the device to communicate to the system.
	When FreeBSD starts coming up I believe that it looks at the BIOS
notes which IRQs and such are in use, then starts searching for hardware
in the system. (Which is opposite of what Microsoft products do, they let
the BIOS tell them what is present.) When it comes to your PNP device, it
reads the ID strings and enables the card. PCI is tied into the system
more, making it effectivly automatically PNP as far as the BIOS and such
is concerned.

> I am running the PCMCIA drivers, though I'm unclear what that has to
> do with this.

	For the PCMCIA slots you have, I doubt it has anything to do with
this problem, but I would load it to have it there while I'm trying to
debug everything else! :) Laptops tend to have small problems when they
can't find the PCMCIA slots!

> Anyway, I did try Luigi's driver (and the VoxWare driver, and OSS for
> fun) but without any luck.  Doug White says that PCI sound cards are
> simply unsupported; if this is true maybe I should just give up for a
> while.  OSS says they're planning for a beta Maestro 2 driver in
> December; but I'd hoped that the alleged `SoundBlaster compatibility'
> would be good for something in the meantime.  Sigh.

	It's possible that the sound card has been 'stripped' so much to
fit into the laptop that it's not going to work. :( It's also possible
that it's not 100% SB compatible (which seems to mean nothing these days
anyways as I can name 3 brands of cards off the top of my head that won't
run under SB settings!) As for the PCI part, it depends on how the sound
is wired into the rest of the system. I sorta doubt it's PCI... but you
never know with laptops. Good luck though! And don't give up..:) I took me
three months to get my modem working right!

						Rick