Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:59:06 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Lisa <lisa@toon.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions questions questions

> Consider me a newbie, a real, brand spanking new one. I want to set
> up an Internet server on Unix using Apache and MySQL.

Welcome.

> I am looking at two OS's.... FreeBSD and Debian. I think FreeBSD is
> probably better for what I need, but Debian is easier to figure out
> how to get started... they have image files to make CD's from. And
> while your site has wonderful info about where to get CD's, and how
> to image the install floppies, I cannot find anywhere to find cd
> image files. Do these exist?

Yes.

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES

(Do the main server a favor and use a mirror, though.)  I have a CD
subscription myself, to support the project, but this is something to
do after you commit yourself to FreeBSD.

> If not, I assume I can just FTP all the files and burn that, making
> the two floppies needed for install.

Sure.

> Well, here is my other problem.... I go to the FTP site and there
> are hundreds of directories and thousands of files, I do not have a
> clue which I am supposed to get.

You're on the right track.  Get everything but the packages directory
for now (that's responsible for most of the files).  Also, do yourself
a favor and get a decent FTP client (one that can descend
directories); in particular, don't try to do the download from a web
browser.

> One final question, in your humble opinion... Debian or FreeBSD?
> What do you think? And WHY?

I answer questions on this list, so clearly I prefer FreeBSD for most
things.  Three words:  It doesn't crash.  Ever.  The only time I've
ever gotten the OS to panic is by giving it a bad memory chip.  I've
gotten various Linux distributions to crash under lots of different
circumstances, most of which I still haven't figured out.  Clearly,
YMMV applies.

Lucas