Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 23:20:57 -0500
From:      Brian Jackson <b.k.jackson@verizon.net>
To:        Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server howto question

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 10:48  PM, Lord Raiden wrote:

> 	1st, I need to build a mail server that does both pop and smtp.  2nd,
> I need that server to be able to do pop before smtp authentication for
> relaying.
>
> 	Anyone got a good tutorial on how to do that and how to setup the
> server to authenticate smtp users via "pop before smtp"?  What mail
> server software would I need to pull this off?  Thanks for the info!

There are quite a few MTAs and POP daemons that will fit your needs -
most of them live in /usr/ports/mail.

I've had great success with qmail - here are some sites for your
research:

http://www.qmail.org			-	Good site with all the addons (such as your
pop before smtp requirement)
http://www.lifewithqmail.org	-	Good tutorial
http://matt.simerson.net		-	Good toaster implementation
http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html		-	Author's site

Feel free to mail me if you have any questions.

Brian
--
Brian Jackson
b.k.jackson@verizon.net