Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:32:40 -0500
From:      Alfonso Romero <ibac@prodigy.net.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Creating an additional DNS zone file

I have a DNS server for my local LAN. I use "ibacsoft.dynu.com" as the =
primary zone and all works properly. When I wanted to add an additional =
zone, "lalis.com", to use virtual hosts with apache, I created the =
following zone file, called "lalis.com" on /etc/namedb:

$TTL    3600
lalis.com.       IN      SOA     adeline.ibacsoft.dynu.com. =
root.adeline.ibacsoft.dynu.com (
                                6        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
               IN      NS      adeline.ibacsoft.dynu.com.
;
                IN      A       192.168.0.101

www             IN CNAME        @
mail            IN CNAME        @

@               IN MX   10      mail.lalis.com.

I then reload named with "ndc reload", ping www.lalis.com and all looks =
fine.
I even go to www.lalis.com and the apache home page shows up.

The problem is when I try to use lalis.com, without the "www" part. When =
I ping lalis.com, it doesn=B4t give me the correct internal IP address, =
like www.lalis.com does.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Alfonso Romero