Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:48:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: just checking

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Nathan Mace wrote:

> ok, i'm just making sure i've got this right
>
> the following line gets me 4.4 release code right?
> *default release=cvs tar=RELENG_4_4

No, this gets you the security-fix version of 4.4-RELEASE. Using
RELENG_4_4_0_RELEASE gets you 4.4-RELEASE.

> so how do i get 4.4-STABLE? what do i need to change?

Use RELENG_4.

> also....how many versions stay 'up-to-date' at once?  since there is
> version 4.4 is 4.3 & 4.2 still patched against bugs?

New features are only available in the latest -STABLE.  However, critical
security bugs (such as the telnetd root exploit) will be fixed in the
security releases (RELENG_4_4 and RELENG_4_3.)

> there is only one STABLE at any givin time right?  currently it is
> 4.4-STABLE....right?

Yes.  STABLE is the "stable" development track, and eventually becomes the
next -RELEASE.

--
Matt Emmerton