Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 01:10:04 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Michael C. Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:56:35PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :>     Vendor imported code (e.g. KAME(sigh..), USB, possibly 1394,
> :>     cardbus, possibly some userland important tools and libraries)
> :>     would have little or no diffs from the original vendor's code..
> :
> :Erm, all the changes so far aren't in API's, but rather changing the size
> :of types like time_t.  The same KAME code would compile fine.
> :
>
>     Huh?  Changing the size of time_t sure sounds like an API change to me!

There's no programmer visual change if you change the size of a type.
Only when you go down to the binary level, you'll notice things have
changed. I think this means that changing the definition of an abstract
type (which time_t is) is not an API change.

Put differently: you don't have to recode, just recompile (provided
you didn't make assumptions about the size of course :-)

I'm not 100% sure, but it's how I intuitively interpret API...