Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 2004 14:41:30 -0400
From:      "michaela" <michaela@maa-net.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS(d)

I was attempting to setup NFS between my usermachine (nfs-client) and
emailserver (nfs-server) using the instructions from the FreeBSD Handbook
(section 19.5).  Both machines are on my LAN.

I wanted to have my users be able to get their email straight from
the /var/mail directory via NFS, as opposed to having it fetched remotely via
PINE.

Everything runs great, EXCEPT... When I goto look at the /var/mail directory
on the usermachine I get this listing.....

(michaela@bsd)-># ls -l /var/mail
total 584
-rw-rw----  1 apticle    mail          0 Oct  9 01:33 .apticle.pop
-rw-rw----  1 1003       mail          0 Oct  9 12:25 .cyberjedi.pop
-rw-rw----  1 stunnel    mail          0 Oct  8 17:21 .jisaac.pop
-rw-rw----  1 cyberjedi  mail          0 Oct  9 14:24 .michaela.pop
-rw-rw----  1 michaela   mail          0 Oct  8 07:42 .sysadmin.pop
-rw-rw----  1 apticle    mail          0 Oct  9 01:33 apticle
-rw-rw----  1 astronut   mail          0 Sep  4 14:34 astronut
-rw-rw----  1 mtanaki    mail       3256 Sep 16 11:02 babyboy
-rw-------  1 106        106           0 Sep  5 01:07 clamav
-rw-rw----  1 babyboy    mail          0 Sep  4 14:35 cpu
-rw-rw----  1 1003       mail          0 Oct  9 12:37 cyberjedi
-rw-rw----  1 sysadmin   mail          0 Sep  4 22:26 donations
-rw-rw----  1 stunnel    mail          0 Oct  8 17:21 jisaac
-rw-rw----  1 cyberjedi  mail          0 Oct  9 14:24 michaela
-rw-rw----  1 clamav     mail     380174 Oct  5 11:19 michaeljr
-rw-rw----  1 goose      mail          0 Sep  4 14:36 mtanaki
-rw-------  1 70         70            0 Sep 12 14:03 pgsql
-rw-------  1 root       wheel    162836 Oct  9 04:19 root
-rw-------  1 cpu        stunnel       0 Sep  8 16:21 stunnel
-rw-rw----  1 michaela   wheel     18523 Oct  9 06:00 sysadmin
-rw-rw----  1 trivash    mail          0 Sep  4 14:38 trivash
(michaela@bsd)->#

Notice how the OWNERS and GROUPS of certain users (entries) don't belong to
the proper "owners".  This causes, "PERMISSION DENIED" errors while trying to
read email in PINE because the mailbox isn't 'owned' by the specific user.

The /var/mail directory on my usermachine (nfs-client) is the same as on the
emailserver (nfs-server).  However, when running NFS the filepermissions
change the /var/mail directory on the userserver (nfs-client).

I have the option -maproot=root in my /etc/exports file on the emailserver
(nfs-server).

Any idea to what might be causing this, and how I would resolve it???  I was
thinking that even though I have the SAME users on each box, the UIDs are
DIFFERENT on the two machines.  Could that be it?????

Thanks in advance....