Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:40:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
To:        ken keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
Cc:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cannot connect on LAN

Actually you will need a crossover cable,  Unless you are using a hub or
something.  The problem is that they are both using the same 2(or more)
paths for trasmitting and receiving. A crossover switches them around.

Normal
comp 1 S --------------------------------- S comp 2
       R --------------------------------- R

Crossover
comp 1 S -----------\    /----------------- S comp 2
                      \/
                      /\

See the difference?  With a normal cable its like holding a phone
upside-down.

Patrick Seal
<patseal@hyperhost.net>

Hyperhost