Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID Controllers

At Thu, 21 Jun 2001 it looks like Mike Smith composed:

MS-->> Second post little response first go-around.
MS-->>
MS-->> Help!!
MS-->>
MS-->> I'm trying to pick the BEST RAID card for a FreeBSD server I'm building.
MS-->
MS-->There is no "best".  It depends a lot on what you're doing.   By the
MS-->sound of it, you'd be better off with a 2-port 3ware card, to be honest.
MS-->
MS-->

(a few 3ware questions)

Speaking of the 3ware cards, can one use the 4-port card with only
two drives ? or the 8-port with only 2 drives ?

The reason I ask is I have two 30-gig drives still in the boxes,
one Maxtor, one Western Digital and wanted to invest in a 4 port
3ware card. I don't know whether to buy two more 30-gig Maxtor or
two more 30-gig Western Digital drives to make a set of four.

But until then I'd like to use the two new IDE drives I have
albeit different brands.

Documentation for setting this up, is it available for both
FreeBSD and Linux ?

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076                 -o)